heriot-watt has received a silver award in the teaching excellence framework (tef). this award is valid for up to three years.
in making the silver award the tef panel commented that:
'the (heriot-watt) university metrics, supplemented by the submission, indicate that students achieve excellent outcomes, especially with regards to progression into highly skilled employment and further study which is significantly above the university's benchmark. these excellent outcomes include students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
the university metrics ... indicate that students achieve excellent outcomes, especially with regards to progression into highly skilled employment and further study which is significantly above the university's benchmark.
'the metrics also indicate very high levels of student satisfaction with teaching, academic support, and assessment and feedback.
'the panel's judgement reflects in particular, additional evidence of:
- course design and assessment practices that provide scope for high levels of stretch and are directly informed by research activity
- positive student engagement and the implementation of retention strategies aimed at improving the student experience
- a successful approach to developing employability that is underpinned by strong engagement with employers and professional bodies
- an institutional approach to the creation of high quality physical and digital learning resources to support learning and teaching, which is positively received by students
- an institutional culture that facilitates, recognises and rewards excellent teaching with a commitment to the professional development of teaching staff'
professor richard a williams, heriot-watt principal and vice-chancellor, said, “we are pleased to have received a silver rating in this first tef assessment. the value of heriot-watt taking part in the exercise can be seen in the very positive response the assessors gave the university on key points such as course design, the employability of our graduates and our focus on learning support teaching excellence.”
more information on the full tef results is available from hefce.